Disclaimer: This is going to be my first and most personal blog post yet.
2018 was the year of the highest highs and the lowest lows. It felt like it was the year that gave me the best things in life that I’m most thankful for, but at the same time, it threw me punches I thought I couldn’t ever handle before. But, I’ve learned the most valuable lesson — to always see the glass half full. We always have a choice with our perspective. Today, I’d like to share how I turned my quote and quote most challenging year to a year full of lessons and personal growth.
18 Things I Learned in 2018
- Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. People come into our lives for a reason and for a lesson. Whether the person was there for 2 years or 2 seconds, be thankful for the people we have met.
- Family will love you unconditionally, always and in all ways.
- Even the best fall down sometimes. Ok, I got that from a song, but what I want to say is — sometimes, even the strongest, the bravest, those people who we think got it all together, also have their own breaking points. Everyone does, no exemptions. Let’s accept that fact that, we are human and it’s okay not to be okay.
- Every day is a fresh start. We are so blessed to be given a chance to start anew and reset our minds and hearts. We have a chance to be better, literally every day.
- Be thankful for what you have. By human nature, we always crave what we don’t have. That’s all well and good, because it can bring inspiration to make us work harder and better. But, when will the chasing ever stop? When will we ever be content?
- Milk actually isn’t good for our bones. A revelation.
- It’s okay to chase but never lose yourself in the process. I’ve never done this before but I guess now I understand the great heights people do for love. But then again, know your worth. Know when to stop.
- When you realize you deserve better, letting go will be the best decision ever. In relation to number 7, there’s also this. Hi ladies.
- High school friends are truly the best friends one could ever have.
- Take a break from social media every once in a while. Or our phones in general. It’s healthy to disconnect from the outside world and reconnect with ourselves.
- You are in your own race. Don’t compare yourself to other people, because they’re on theirs as well. Some are ahead, some are behind. In the story of the rabbit and the turtle, the rabbit was supposed to win but since he was so focused on the turtle, he eventually lost. Don’t be the rabbit. Be the turtle, doing your own thing.
- It’s okay to give up some things, if you’re not ready/ meant for it.
- Mental health is so important. This is the first year that I experienced this irl. When my mind wasn’t in check, everything else wasn’t.
- Little progress is progress. All things in time. Again with the rabbit turtle analogy — even if you’re a turtle walking really slow, you’re still walking. You’re not at zero anymore. You’re gonna get to where you want to go eventually.
- Be unapologetically you, while still treating other people kindly. We all have different views, different cultures, different upbringing, different beliefs. It’s okay not to agree with other people. There are times when we can agree to disagree.
- Pag binato ka ng bato, batuhin mo ng tinapay. Kindness doesn’t cost a thing.
- Thank God for the gift of life. If all else fails, if nothing else is making you feel better, then try thinking about this. The sun rose this morning and we woke up. We are breathing. We are given another chance, while others aren’t. We are beyond blessed for that reason alone.
- Thank u, next. There’s no point in dwelling in anything that makes you sad. What’s done is done. We can always start over. Let’s embrace the roller coaster ride called LIFE!
I know I have been gone the whole 2018, but that’s because there were so many events that led me to feel lost. Despite everything though, I’m beyond thankful for all the lessons. Now I feel energized and ready to share again.
Thank you to those who continued to read my blog, despite the lack of content! And to those who just came across me now, HI! I’m Mikee and I love everything organic (not seen in this post haha) but I have a lot of things to share and I’m looking forward to write again 🙂 See you soon!